For the 16th FINA World Championships (25m) in 2022, a British team loaded with “strength and experience” is traveling to Australia.
Numerous Olympic and world gold medalists are included in the 11-person team that will compete in Melbourne for the six-day event in December.
One of them is sprint expert Ben Proud, who earlier this year won a historic hat-trick of 50m Freestyle world, Commonwealth, and European titles in the space of two months.
The 50m Freestyle short course champion from Abu Dhabi a year ago, Proud, will be attempting to defend his title.
Additionally, Adam Peaty will compete after missing the World Championships in June due to a foot injury.
Among the other well-known individuals traveling to Australia are Anna Hopkin, Tom Dean, Luke Greenbank, and Abbie Wood.
Lewis Burras and Medi Harris are participating in the competition, which runs from December 13 through December 18 at the Melbourne Aquatics Centre, for the first time in the world short course.
The championships were an “important chance,” according to Chris Spice, director of performance for British Swimming, for the swimmers to keep up their “sound preparations” going into the new year.
He said: “The group will have a great chance to compete at a high level early in the season at the World Short Course Championships, which will also serve as a stepping stone to our ultimate 2023 target of the World Championships in Fukuoka next summer.
“It’s fantastic that we can travel to Melbourne with a team this strong and experienced, including Adam, who regrettably had to miss a significant portion of the previous season, and athletes like Ben and Tom, who had outstanding summers. Anna is a seasoned, elite short-course racer, and it’s wonderful that Abbie is also competing after having to withdraw from the World Short Course Meet due to illness the year prior.
“As part of their ongoing education, some of the swimmers have a significant opportunity to experience another top-notch arena, and we are thrilled that the team will be able to participate in and practice more relays throughout the meet.
“We have a great team, and we’re hopeful that we can keep up our thorough planning as we enter the new year.”
British Swimming Team For The Fina World Championships (25M) 2022
- Lewis Burras (Winchester City)
- Imogen Clark (Derventio Excel)
- Tom Dean (Bath Performance Centre)
- Luke Greenbank (Loughborough Performance Centre)
- Medi Harris (Swim Wales Performance Centre, Swansea)
- Isabella Hindley (Brompton Swimming Club)
- Anna Hopkin (Loughborough Performance Centre)
- Daniel Jervis (Swim Wales Performance Centre, Swansea)
- Adam Peaty (Loughborough Performance Centre)
- Ben Proud (Bath University)
- Abbie Wood (Loughborough Performance Centre)
- Hannah Russell Declares Her Departure From Competitive Swimming
- To Assist Athletes Who Are Deaf, Swim England Has Announced Changes To The Licensing Requirements